SC - Moravian Sugar Cake Recipe

DJacquetta at aol.com DJacquetta at aol.com
Fri May 5 22:12:31 PDT 2000

Greetings,
 I have just recently joined this group & look forward to sharing ideas with
all of you.
Here are 2 recipes for Moravian Sugar Cake. I hope this can be of help.

In Service,
Lady Jacquetta Edington of Yorkshire

Moravian Sugar Cake 1

1/2 c solid vegetable shortening
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c mashed potatoes, reserve cooking water -- (1 lg or 2 sm)
2 eggs -- beaten
2 pkg active dry yeast
3/4 c potato water -- (105-110°F)
4 scant cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
butter
brown sugar and cinnamon

Using a lg bowl, add shortening and sugar to hot mashed potatoes. Add beaten
eggs. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm potato water and add sifted flour and salt.
Combine potato and yeast mixture (like a bread dough) and let rise in a
covered bowl until doubled in bulk, 20-30 min @ 80°F. Pat out in greased pans
(one 11x7x2) plus one 8" square, or 3 square pans) to 1/2" thick. Let rise 1
hr. Make indentations in dough and fill holes with plenty of butter. Sprinkle
very generously with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake @ 375°F 20 min.

Moravian Sugar Cake 2

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

   Directions:
  1   In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and shortening, and mix
until crumbly. Add sugar, eggs, and milk; mix thoroughly.
  2   Divide batter into two 8 inch round or square greased baking pans. Dot
the top with 1/2 cup butter broken into pieces the size of lima beans.
Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup brown sugar for each cake, sprinkle cinnamon on
top.
  3   Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 30 minutes.
Makes 2 - 8 inch round pans