SC - Quinces (and a query about an eating utensil)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Sun May 7 15:44:17 PDT 2000

I was the one who sent out the query about the spoon/fork combination
instrument.  I had purchased it from one of our Atlantian metalworkers (very good
on documentation of his work), who told me that they were Anglo-Saxon and quite
early, around 900 or so, as I recall.  I did not get the actual documentation
from him, but when I brought it up to the list, I received the following
information:

_European Spoons Before 1700_, by John Emery, John Donald Publishing, Ltd,
1976.

P.63 (Northern Europe):
"Of slightly later date are two unfinished combined spoons and forks from a
hoard of coins and silver scrap dug up at Sevington in Wiltshire and dated
about A. D. 850. . . .the earliest appearance of a definite two-pronged fork
[in Northern Europe]. . . ."

It came from Rudd Rayfield, and definitely corresponded with what our craftsman
told me.

Hope this helps!

Kiri