SC - Pleyn Delit et al-vinegar

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sun May 7 22:50:32 PDT 2000

Constance Hieatt published a good bit on the early English cookery:

Hieatt, Constance & Butler,  Sharon. CURYE ON INGLYSCH. Oxford University
Press. 1985. 14th century English recipes. Originals only, no
transliterations or redactions. Good glossary. RECOMMENDED.    5 Books,
similar in content.  Also contains I. Diursa Cibaria, II Diversa Servica,
III Utilis Coquinario, IV, Forme of Cury, and V Goud Kokery.  [I have
made a modern transliteration of Book IV, Forme of Cury.]

Hieatt, Constance B. AN ORDINANCE OF POTTAGE. Prospect Book. 1988. 15th
century recipes with both original and redacted recipes.

Hieatt, Constance B. and Sharon Butler. PLEYN DELIT. University of
Toronto Press, Toronto.1979. 14th & 15th century recipes with the
complete original recipe and a modern redaction. Recipes come from
English and French sources; the French have been translated. The typeface
that the original recipes are printed in can be difficult to read..

There is a new edition of Pleyn Delit, but it's in another room.
Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com