SC - Serving question

Sharon Cicchetti maggie5 at home.com
Mon May 8 21:01:08 PDT 2000

- --=====================_345871667==_.ALT

At 11:23 PM 5/8/00 -0400,Siegfried Heydrich said something like:
>     I see from some of the menus posted to the list that people serve 3, 4,
>or 5 dishes in a given course. How do you co-ordinate that with your
>servers? Does all of it come out at once, or do they bring them out one at a
>time?

Often dishes will be combined, except for soup (of course). The sliced
roast will be served surrounded by rice/couscous,whatever.  The digby cakes
on the side of the lemon cream, etc. We send out one dish, then as soon as
it is served they come back and pick up the next one for that remove.

>     We have a serious lack of serving vessels here, and so I try to do
>family service whenever possible - bring out a dish in the container in
>which it was cooked, set it down, and let the guests divvy it up. Makes
>portion control a whole lot easier, not to mention life for the servers. I
>tend to use no more than a dozen servers for a feast serving 250. Is that
>normal for everyone else?

We've only done feasts for 250 or so when it was a Kingdom event, the
average baronial feast being around 85-130 people.  It is served with
enough to a bowl/platter to serve the entire table (usually being 8-10
people to a table).

As for servers, when my household is doing the feast/cooking, we ask each
table to select a volunteer to be their server.  The servers then get a
very brief discussion on the mechanics of serving and the history of it.
(Being able to serve was a high honor in period, it was how you showed your
esteem for your guests, etc. etc.).  But that way you make sure there are
enough people to get the food to the tables in a reasonable timespan, AND
they still get to sit with their friends and chitchat while eating.

>     I think we could all use an exchange of ideas on how to get it out of
>the kitchen and on to the table. Not just the mechanics, but some of the
>pomposities and ceremonials as well. I know I could use ideas!
>
>     Sieggy

We could use a few more ideas too!!

Regards,
Maggie MacD.
Calafian cooking guild.
(Caid)
- --=====================_345871667==_.ALT

At 11:23 PM 5/8/00 -0400,Siegfried Heydrich said something like:<br>
menus posted to the list that people serve 3, 4,<br>
or 5 dishes in a given course. How do you co-ordinate that with
your<br>
servers? Does all of it come out at once, or do they bring them out one
at a<br>
time?</blockquote><br>
Often dishes will be combined, except for soup (of course). The sliced
roast will be served surrounded by rice/couscous,whatever.  The
digby cakes on the side of the lemon cream, etc. We send out one dish,
then as soon as it is served they come back and pick up the next one for
that remove.<br>
serving vessels here, and so I try to do<br>
family service whenever possible - bring out a dish in the container
in<br>
which it was cooked, set it down, and let the guests divvy it up.
Makes<br>
portion control a whole lot easier, not to mention life for the servers.
I<br>
tend to use no more than a dozen servers for a feast serving 250. Is
that<br>
normal for everyone else?</blockquote><br>
We've only done feasts for 250 or so when it was a Kingdom event, the
average baronial feast being around 85-130 people.  It is served
with enough to a bowl/platter to serve the entire table (usually being
8-10 people to a table).<br>
As for servers, when my household is doing the feast/cooking, we ask each
table to select a volunteer to be their server.  The servers then
get a very brief discussion on the mechanics of serving and the history
of it. (Being able to serve was a high honor in period, it was how you
showed your esteem for your guests, etc. etc.).  But that way you
make sure there are enough people to get the food to the tables in a
reasonable timespan, AND they still get to sit with their friends and
chitchat while eating.<br>
exchange of ideas on how to get it out of<br>
the kitchen and on to the table. Not just the mechanics, but some of
the<br>
pomposities and ceremonials as well. I know I could use ideas!<br>
    Sieggy</blockquote><br>
We could use a few more ideas too!!<br>
Regards,<br>
Maggie MacD.<br>