SC - Holy Feast and Holy Fast

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon May 8 22:30:53 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/8/00 9:58:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, serian at uswest.net
writes:

>  > BTW, I am no different from any other spiritual person of what ever
faith.
> If
>  > you are immersed in your faith it permeates your life. I do try to write
>  > dispassionately about such things but apparently fail miserably in the
>  > effort. I also am not of the opinion that things have to be written about
>  > from a disinterested viewpoint. I receive far more information from
> articles
>  > and books written by people that live the subject they are talking about.
>  >

There are pros and cons to this, of course, but for the most part I agree.
Books written by "disinterested parties" tend to be dry, ill informed and
often erroneous.  On the other hand, books written by zealots or devotees can
often include references warped by personal belief, rather than fact.  Try
reading a "cookbook" written by a food writer, rather than a professional
cook.  This example kind of trivializes the topic, I know, but at least it
keeps it "list appropriate" :)

I tend to believe that, unless you truly feel connected to a topic, you
cannot write on it effectively.  Your facts may be in order, but the slant is
usually wrong.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.