SC - Maize not human food...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 8 23:05:40 PDT 2000

> Apparently some of the European countries, such as Germany, consider
> maize to be unfit for human consumption.  I remember as a child in
> Germany, being told that maize/corn was cow fodder, not human food.
>
> Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, during what time period?

In earlier discussions on this subject on this list, it was pointed out
that not all varieties of maize are fit for human consumption. The
Europeans seem to be influenced by this. If the types of corn grown
in your region are the ones better used for animal fodder then you
tend to think of maize as only good for that. As has been pointed out,
the Europeans do like the American sweet corn, which is grown and bred
for human consumption.

Also, only a rather small proportion of the American maize crop is
actually eaten as kernals by humans. Most is either ground into corn
meal or corn starch, used as animal fodder or turned into such
industrial products as corn oil.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net