SC -Coffee Soap

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 9 01:10:36 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/9/00 12:07:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
magdlena at earthlink.net writes:

>  Syrupus de Absinthio simplex
>                                      Or Syrup of Wormwood simple
>
>      College : Take of the clarified Juice of common Wormwood, clarified
> Sugar, of
>  each four pounds, make it into a Syrup according to art. After the same
> manner,
>  are prepared simple Syrups of Betony, Borrage, Bugloss, Carduus, Chamomel,
>  Succory, Endive, Hedge-mustard, Strawberries, Fumitory, Ground Ivy, St.
John'
>  Wort, Hops, Mercury, Mousear, Plantain, Apples, Purslain, Rasberries, Sage,
>  Scabious, Scordium, Houseleek, Colt's-foot, Paul's Bettony, and other
Juices
> not
>  sour.

While I realize this is not the recipe for the liquer Absinthe, I would offer
a warning to anyone contemplating the distillation or decoction of wormwood.
Absinthe was known as The Green Muse in Victorian Times, and outlawed in
England in 1915, due to its dibilitating effects on the nervous system.  In
medieval times, it was believed to have medicinal properties, and was often
made into medicinal drinks, but, again, I would certainly consider reading up
a little more on the possible ill effects of using this plant before
proceeding with any recipe calling for its inclusion.

Consequently, Pernod and the other liquors which originally contained
wormwood now substitute aniseed instead.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.