SC - Serving question

catwho at bellsouth.net catwho at bellsouth.net
Tue May 9 18:01:40 PDT 2000

> Melbrigda wrote:
> > You ask your guests who paid to eat your feast to serve?
>
> In Ynys Fawr - where admittedly our feasts are usually for rather less than
> a hundred people - volunteers are often called for from the hall to serve
> the remove.  Certainly, we ask people who have paid to serve, and to clean
> up, and even (only once AFAIK) to be the on-site cook!

OK, maybe I should clarify.  I see one thing by having a sign up
sheet or sending a herald around through the day requesting servers
for that evening.  However, I see it a totally different matter to
have people set up for feast, relaxing, having the mindset that they
are going to eat some good food, listen/watch some nice
entertainment, share a table with good friends and then be told,
"BTW, someone from your table has to serve."

I also think that those that serve deserve some sort of payment for
their service.  If I have a full staff that is made from members of
my group, their payment would be to eat first (or at least first of
each remove) and (depending on the number) a small token of my
personal thanks.  If I were relying on volunteers of the guests I
would at least provide a nice desert just for them and perhaps a
small token of my personal thanks.

Melbrigda
There was som deceptyon or frawdulent
induction that hath made her to condescende
therunto

Visit my website at http://milkmama.tripod.com/sca.html