SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

JVButlerJr at aol.com JVButlerJr at aol.com
Wed May 10 04:34:47 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

> I wouldn't be so quick to make that presumption, personally.  After all,
>  these were "cookery books" and such that they were writing, and not
>  all-encompassing cyclopaedia.  I have never come across a cookbook in
which
>  the author included a recipe he/she does not like.  Perhaps these
gentlemen
>  simply found the potato and (poisonous?) tomato to be unfit for a tome on
>  court cuisine?  Or, maybe they simply weren't widespread enough to be
>  "popular"?  Who knows, really, what motivated these people when they wrote
>  their manuscripts?  Not me.

    In my own depreciation, I must admit to also being an inclusionist.  I
tend to act with a philosophy of "That which is not expressly forbidden is
permitted", since my own love of cooking and food drives me to learn as much
as I can without thought to things like geographical boundaries.  I don't
think I could ever concentrate on just one culture or area's food.

    Which means I am more forgiving about things like "documentation" when it
comes to cooking food at a feast.  No, I don't want people to make taco's,
but I'm not going to flinch if someone uses potatoes in their meal.

    Suleyman