SC -Asian cuisine

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Thu May 11 15:55:13 PDT 2000

You're going to need to get friendly with some translators.

One bit of coolness:  Chinese cookbooks gave measurements.  --I've made
honeyed ginger from a translated 6th century Chinese medicinal.  [OK, I
ransacked the drawer and I must have thrown out those pages during a
manic phase.  From memory, I think the book was by Bruce Cost titled
something like "East meets West"; it gave the translator's name and
credentials (UC Berkley Language Dept).  Sorry I can't give any more
info.]

Once you've found your translators (major university language depts are
good), there are shelves and shelves of period sources.  I am a bit
curious why you think there aren't period sources for these cuisines.
The Chinese have had movable type for millenia, after all.

By the by, I've been really interested in this too.  Let me know how you
progress.

Morgana