SC -Asian cuisine

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 11 16:52:55 PDT 2000

Morgana wrote:
>I am a bit
>curious why you think there aren't period sources for these cuisines.

I think what people mean, and they've said this explicitly before, is
that there aren't sources available that we can read *easily*, not
that resources don't exist.

If you don't already know that sources exist, it's often hard to
track them down when their titles in library catalogs are often just
Romanizations of the foreign languages in question - i'm sure this is
true also for Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines.

We are more likely to be familiar with European languages than Asian
languages. Besides speaking and reading French, and being able to
make my way through a number of other written European languages with
dictionaries, i can speak Indonesian, and read it, but only in the
Roman alphabet - i can't read Javanese or Balinese or Batak written
in various writing systems derived from Sanskrit.

I suspect that on this list, there's a high number of people who can
at the very least read one or two languages other than their birth
language - and we have quite a few here whose native language is not
English. We are blessed by their presence. But i suspect non-European
languages, especially those that do not use the Roman alphabet, are a
bit less well represented.

Anahita al-shazhiyya
who will be taking classes on reading and speaking Arabic
at our Kingdom Collegium in a bit over a week...