SC - sourdough experiment #1

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Thu May 11 16:59:15 PDT 2000

So Clement gave me an Amish friendship bread starter.  I made the bread
and we munched it down at Axes & Ales.  As for the rest of the starter
that you're supposed to give to others....

1 c. friendship starter
1/2 tsp. yeast

Put these in a bowl, covered it with a damp towel and left it for 27 hrs
(approx).

Next:
the starter
1 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. water (total)
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Proof the yeast in 1/4 c. warm water.  Once it becomes creamy, add it to
the sponge (starter stuff for you who don't bake) along with the other
1/4 c. water, which can be cool.  Mix it up and then start adding the
flour.  Add the salt when the dough is just about ready.  It will be a
rather moist dough.

About 14 hrs later, punched down and divided the dough.  Half is rising
in a banneton, the other half I fried for breakfast (yummy).

About 5 hrs later, I streched the loaf out on an oiled baking sheet.  One
hr later, I baked it.  450 F, 15 mins.

Took it to fight practice.  Generally well received.  On to experiment
#2.

Incidentally, the recipes are from Joe Ortiz's The Village Baker.

Morgana