SC - blood

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu May 11 23:44:25 PDT 2000

<snip>
>Uh, ok, in Indonesia and the Philippines blood is often collected
>from animals when they are slaughtered and included in the cooking
>of>>certain >dishes, for example, in Pilipino dinaguan and Batak saksang.
>Do we have many European recipes from "SCA period" that include blood
>as an ingredient in dishes besides "blood sausage"?

>Anahita

Hello!  Yes, there are some, such as this one for Fylettys en Galentyne.
Blood (fried or collected as pan drippings) was also used as a coloring
agent to make dishes dark in color.

Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers
xvj. Fylettys en Galentyne.  Take fayre porke, [th]e fore quarter, an take
of [th]e skyne; an put [th]e porke on a fayre spete, an rost it half y-now;
[th]an take it of, an smyte it in fayre pecys, & caste it on a fayre potte;
[th]an take oynonys, and schrede hem, an pele hem (an pyle hem nowt to
smale), an frye in a panne of fayre grece; [th]an caste hem in [th]e potte
to [th]e porke; [th]an take gode broth of moton or of beef, an caste
[th]er-to, an [th]an caste [th]er-to pouder pepyr, canel, clowys, an macys,
an let hem boyle wyl to-gederys; [th]an tak fayre brede, an vynegre, an
stepe [th]e brede with [th]e same brothe, an strayne it on blode, with ale,
or ellys sawnderys, and salt, an lat hym boyle y-now, an serue it forth.

Rose (Liber Cure Cocorum, p. 13.)
Take flour of ryse, as whyte as sylke,  And hit welle, with almond mylke;
Boyle hit tyl hit be chargyd, [th]enne  Take braune of capone or elle of henne;
Loke [th]ou grynd hit wondur smalle,  And sithen [th]ou charge hit with alle;
Coloure with alkenet, sawnder, or ellys with blode,  Fors hit with clowes
or macys gode; Seson hit with sugur grete plenté,  [th]is is a rose, as
kokes tell me.

[Take flour of rice, as white as silk,
And heat it well, with almond milk;
Boil it till it is thick, then
Take flesh of capon or else of hen;
Look that you grind it very small,
And then you thicken it with all;
Color with alkanet, saunders, or else
With blood, Season it with cloves or maces good; Season it with sugar in
great plenty, this is a rose, as cooks tell me.]

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow
Author and Publisher of "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" and "A Sip Through Time"
http://www.thousandeggs.com
cindy at thousandeggs.com