SC - Cherries

Hupman, Laurie LHupman at kenyon.com
Fri May 12 07:52:41 PDT 2000

I only know of two varieties of cherry that are still available today:
morellos and montemorcy (sp?).  Morellos, I believe, were more common then,
however they are terribly difficult to come by now.  I can sometimes find
pint jars of them in the German deli, packed in water and spices.
Montemorcy cherries, according to my friendly neighborhood cooking laurel,
were _the_ pie cherry of the late Middle Ages.  I don't know what his
reference is, but in desperation he bought a cherry tree and planted it in
his back yard.  I think he should be getting his first fruit from it this
year.  Whenever I've seen a cherry referred to by name in a recipe, however,
it's been a morello.