SC - A cold soup success story

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri May 12 10:09:54 PDT 2000

Dear Cooks,
I wanted to take a moment to say thank you to all who answered my querie
about cold soup/vegetable alternatives to gaspatcho I sent a couple of
weeks ago.  A lady here who has done a few Royal luncheons from only one
or two sources told me she was planning on a luncheon plate of stuffed
hens (can't remember if they were half chickens or game hens) with wild
rice and fruit, and she was planning on a gaspatcho for her vegetable,
because she wanted something cold, crunchy, and refreshing to go with her
other dishes.  I told her there were alternatives to an obviously
non-period choice (I know we've talked about period non-tomato
gaspatchos, but that's not what she was thinking of).  I sent her several
recipes for things like compost and cold soups, and asked on the list for
other ideas, many of which were of the cold cucumber soup variety.  I
sent all of these along to her to show her there were many choices.  She
reported back the other night that she had decided to go with the
cucumber soup, and that it had been easy to make (she was thankful for
the translation that came with the one she used, I'm not sure which one
she settled on, but I think it came from AM) very tasty, and very well
received.  She said she got the biggest kick out of being able to say
that it was her very own redaction of a period recipe (the only one on
her menu, btw).
	SUCCESS!
	This lady will surely begin looking more and more at period sources now,
not as foreign things not fathomable by common folk, but as resources
that can be tapped with good results.
	I thought, in light of some of the contentious threads of the past week
or so, that you would all like to see the positive effects our list has
had.
	On behalf of our fledgling cook, and for all of the other information
and laughs I get off of this list,
	I thank you.
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies