SC - Cool cooking event and e-"seige"cooking challenge

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon May 15 05:52:21 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> This is the same as the standard "Mystery Basket" competition we use in the
> American Culinary Federation for most Hot Food Competitions.  Lots of fun, if
> you happen to get ingredients which meld together well.  Very frustrating if
> you don't...

Of course in cooking schools this is a test not only of imaginative
ingredient combination, but of whether the student has absorbed some
basic information in what combinations tend to appear in what part of
the world. Which, of course, is a good source of ideas. I've never known
such a market-basket project not to have at least some aspect of
"leading the witness". The trick to doing it really well is know darned
well what the instructors _want_ you to cook, then cook something
completely different, and still use everything.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com