SC - Fwd: From Allison

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue May 16 08:46:53 PDT 2000

Scully, Terence. The Vivendier, A Fifteenth Century French Cookery
Manuscript.  A Critical Edition with English Translations. Prospect
Books, Devon, England. 1997.  A comparison with Taillevent's Viandier
and
the Enseignements.  French originals and English translation, plus
comments.

I also thought he meant this one, since he had a spelling query.

Recipe #13 will interest you, as we had the Icelandic Chicken thread
recently, and one on hand-sized pastries.

"To make Norse Pasties.  Get pike minnows or those of some other good
fish, cooked, cut into chunks, [minced with] cinnamon and ginger
tempered
with vinegar; make little pasties.  Some people sautee these in oil.

The only pasta recipe I found was this one, the forerunner of
vermicelli:

#51. Vermiseaux de cecille
Sicilian Vermicelli aremade of dough as fine as small worms that are
found in cheese.  Young country girls make them in summertime for the
whole year, drying them in the sun to make them last longer.  They
should
be well culled and washed, then set to dry as was said for the Rice
[before the fire], and cooked in good fat bouillion with a good lot of
saffron; when dishing up, fine grated cheese sprinkled on top.

Scully's Notes: [snipped] dishname retains the Italian for for the genre

(vermicelli)...
Other occurrences of vermicelli are found only in Italian recipe
collections.  The only other reference to pasta asciutto from Sicily is
in the Neapolitan Collection's #15, Macharoni ciciiani, echoed in
Martino's #78 for Maccaroni siciliani.

There are recipes in this book that are like the Viandier, some like
Menagier, some like Chiquart, some like Enseignements, some not like any

other.  It's a good book.  I recommend it.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com