SC - slaughtering

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Tue May 16 13:00:48 PDT 2000

Johann von Metten writes:
 Well, myself and some of my SCA daughters just finished slaughtering 16
young cocks and some old hens from my flock of Dorkings and Brahmas.
(Dorking cocks, Brahma Hens).
 We will use the young birds for our Baronial B-day Feast in June, the
hens we did simply because we had the time and the hands to do a job
that needed to be done anyhoo!
 Now we have dry plucked the birds for pillows and plumage, some of the
cocks wings will be used in a NA dance.

Ras, do you have some period recipes for 'fries' I have a recipe or two
from Apicius for pickled testes that I did for a Pax Romana feast, but
was looking for something different and perhaps something later in
period?
 I used the hens ovaries in an egg drop soup that was wonderful!!
I have someone here who wants the feet for soup too!

Johann, medieval poultrier,
who gets a perverse pleasure out of seeing young brave knights pale at
the mention of this kinda thing!!! "Just grab the head of the Cock and
the take your knife and.....!"