SC - Translation help - OT, OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed May 17 23:27:40 PDT 2000

Huette said:
> Your translation beat mine.  I wouldn't have attempted
> it if I had known you had resubscribed. I guess I blew
> the translation for the last verse.  Sigh.
>
> I do have to ask this ... why lime tree and not linden
> tree?  I thought that lime was "linde" and linden was
> "linden".

> - --- Thomas Gloning <gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE>
> wrote:

> > > Am Brunnen vor dem Tore, da steht ein Lindenbaum.
> >   Near the well before the door, stands a lime-tree

I was going to ask this also. I am NOT a translator, though. This
could be a difference between European and American speach rather
than a mistranslation. It is my understanding that lindenwood was/is
a different tree than either the lemon or lime tree. I believe it
was a wood commonly used for shields because it is fairly strong,
yet light in wieght.

See this file in the CRAFTS section of my files:
wood-msg          (54K)  3/18/97    Different types of wood, period terms.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net