SC -

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 19 20:11:03 PDT 2000

> Mary Lawson wrote:
>
> Hello all:  I am new to the list and also new to the SCA "world".  I
> have enjoyed reading the messages and have found them very
> informative.  Thank you.  I do have a question that I hope ya'll can
> help with... a recipe that I have calls for cooking eggs in a pig's
> bladder..what can I use as a substitute for the bladder?
> I do appreciate your help!
> Mary

Hello and welcome, Mary!

Oh, you're making one of those spherical gargantuan eggs? Hmmm. One
possibility is large sausage casings, such as beef caps, which you may
be able to obtain from your butcher. There are probably synthetic
casings that would do the job as well, since you're probably throwing
the casing away later anyway. I know of at least one company that sells
sausage-making supplies by mail order; they;re in Buffalo, NY, I think,
and I don't recall if they have a Web presence.

_Some_ industrial-grade plastic wrap will actually do this job fairly
well, too, if you bundle it up like a handkerchief bindle (a bindle
being that sack-thing that hobos used to carry in old movies and
cartoons, and possibly even in real life) and tie it off with a
twist-tie or string.

I suggest using a medium simmer, at the most, not a hard boil, also.

Hope this helps.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy