SC - finally! A baking success! and re: honey butter

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri May 19 20:50:27 PDT 2000

Nyckademus said:
> I am just not a bread baker.  Now that I have a pizza stone and two cubes of
> brick for my outside stove i am a realy well prepared nonbread baker.
> Seriously does yeast just not like some people?  Is bread like gardening?
> I don't think I'm the only one who can't get a ball of dough to do anything
> but mock my wishes for it to rise.  I have taught foods in high school for
> three years now and each year I teach over a hundred kids to make perfect
> yeast bread.  How can my students get perfect results and my dough resemble
> the density one would look for in oak furniture?

I'm not sure how long you have been a member of this list, but over it's
existance Bear and others have given a lot of hints and suggestions on
making bread. They have also given, especially Bear, a large number of
wonderful sounding recipes. However, it looks like you may have good
recipes and that perhaps all you need are some techniques info.

Anyway, you might want to look at these files in the FOOD-BREADS-GRAINS
section of my files:
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by Katerine Rountre.
bread-msg        (161K) 12/13/99    Medieval breads and grains.
bread-stuffed-msg (28K)  7/21/99    Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.
breadmaking-msg  (190K)  1/14/00    Period bread recipes and re-creations.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (49K)  1/14/00    Period flat or unleavened bread recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (36K)  1/14/00    Breadmaking -Period sourdough bread recipes.
flour-msg         (45K)  2/ 8/00    Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.
yeasts-msg        (59K) 10/ 6/99    Medieval use of yeast. Using it in
the CMA.

Good luck!
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net