SC - What to look for - new virus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 19 23:08:44 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> This might seem like a really dumb question to some of you...but...
> My email (Outlook of some variety) at work does _not_ automatically open
> attachments, and there's all kinds of spiffy virus protectors in place
> for our server, etc.  However, how do I deal with this at home? I'm
> using Netscape, and it seems to automatically display (open?) the
> attachments just below the message they're attached to.  I've avoided
> being "virused" so far, but don't know how to protect myself here at
> home....
> --Maire

I use Netscape Communicator for e-mail, too, although the recent spate
of virii don't seem to affect it. I also have mine set to view
attachments inline, which is why I didn't recognize at first that there
were attachments to Sieggy's posts. As I mentioned, Netscape just said,
oh, an html e-mail, big deal.

If you're worried, Netscape has a "View" menu which includes the option
to view attachments inline, or not. It might help to turn this option
off, so you'll be able to look at the name of an attached file and
decide if you want to open it. I'm assuming Netscape for the PC is more
or less equivalent to Netscape for the Mac.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com