SC - authenticity

Darice Moore magistra at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 21 04:34:10 PDT 2000

Serian wrote:
> Went to a revel with dessert sideboard.  One item was a
> chocolate cheesecake.

I've faced this issue myself.  At our last event, my Laurel hosted a
luncheon, and I planned and prepared the food and decorations.  I
selected period recipes and strove to keep the luncheon food entirely
period.

However, a dear friend offered me one of her "Sin" cakes (a flourless
chocolate cake - unbelievably decadent and good).  Now, obviously,
chocolate is out of period, but I figured Sin was not... ;)  Actually,
as she kindly offered, I decided to kindly accept.

> I didn't have a huge problem with it, but someone did ask if
> chocolate were period.

I had labeled all the foods and I think everyone was pretty aware that
the Sin was OOP.  And I had other period desserts available
(gingerbrede, and fresh strawberries with creme bastarde).  If memory
serves, I believe I just indicated that the Sin was donated.  And I had
sets of documentation on the tables with the redacted recipes for all
the dishes except the Sin.

- - Clotild