SC - Peeres in confyt

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon May 22 04:35:44 PDT 2000

 >Peeres in confyt
> (Curye on Inglysch, Forme of Cury 136)
<snip>

Hello!  I don't understand the addition of water to this recipe. It isn't
called for in the original, and will tend to dilute the flavor of the pears
(in the first part) and lengthen the cooking time of the syrup (in the
second part). If you keep the lid on the pot, and keep the pot to a simmer,
I don't see why the liquid should boil off.  I also don't understand the
addition of sauterne, since the recipe clearly calls for vernage
(vernaccia), a sweet white wine similar to sherry.

As an aside to this, I actually found Vernaccia in an Italian specialty
shop a few days ago.  The shopkeepers, in their fractured German, tried to
disuade me from buying it, saying "Nicht wein, Sherry!  Sherry!"  And  I
happily nodded my head, & said "Ja, gut! Sherry!"

Well, you've piqued my curiosity, so I'm off to find some pears.

Regards,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com