SC -

Tue May 23 11:14:32 PDT 2000

Good speculation.  The Augsburg bankers were involved with funding the spice
industry in the 16th Century.  The Fuggers, in particular, were deeply
involved in the Portuguese spice trade.

I haven't read them but you might try Victor Von Klarwill's Fugger
News-Letters (1924), The Fugger News-Letters: Second Series (1972) and
Unpublished Letters from the Correspondents of the House of Fugger During
the Years 1586-1605 (1977).

There are also some collections of Italian trade documents and
correspondence which may address the issue.

Bear

> TOTAL SPECULATION MODE ON:
>
> I wonder if there exists, anywhere, records of trade in spice
> futures/options. We do have records of such ventures being
> insured, and
<clipped>