SC -cooling Creme' Bastarde

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Tue May 23 22:48:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/23/00 10:04:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> Ummm. I think you should check your temperature numbers again. Are you sure
>  these were given in Fahrenheit and not Celsius? 15 degrees Fahrenheit is
>  quite
>  a lot below freezing. If that water stops flowing or even slows it is
likely
>  to freeze solid fairly quickly. Any spray from the water will freeze,
> eventually
>  blocking access or possibly the water. For the same reason, the water
>  has to
>  come from somewhere and not be frozen at that time.
>
>  I think 15 degrees Celsius is more likely. And if this is a British
>  publication I would expect them to use Celsius rather than the Fahrenheit
>  scale.
>
>  So, basically the room will keep things cool, but not cold.
>
>  Thanks for the interesting info.

Just checked it.   It specifies Fahrenheit.  But note that the 15 degree
temperature in the stone boxes was the temp inside the box and they do say
that the boxes have wooden lids (I assume for keeping stray spray out of the
boxes though they don't say)    The ambient temp given for the room itself is
34-36 degrees Fahrenheit which is a bit cooler than the average refrigerator.
 However, they say they took the temp measurements after keeping the room
closed tightly for 48 hours, I doubt that this would have occurred in the
average use of the area.  How many of us even keep our own refrigerator
tightly closed for 48 hours at a time?

Anyway, it was a fun bit of info to read and will be fascinating to see what
they send me concerning other such methods.

Constance de LaRose
(the ever curious)