SC -cooling Creme' Bastarde

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed May 24 13:36:54 PDT 2000

>>Ummm. I think you should check your temperature numbers again. Are you
sure
these were given in Fahrenheit and not Celsius? 15 degrees Fahrenheit is
quite
a lot below freezing. If that water stops flowing or even slows it is
likely
to freeze solid fairly quickly. Any spray from the water will freeze,
eventually
blocking access or possibly the water. For the same reason, the water
has to
come from somewhere and not be frozen at that time.

I think 15 degrees Celsius is more likely. And if this is a British
publication I would expect them to use Celsius rather than the Fahrenheit
scale.

So, basically the room will keep things cool, but not cold.

Thanks for the interesting info.

- --
 Stefan,

Read it again.  This castle has sea water running through the cold room.
It will not completely freeze because of the salt content.  I have seen
'scales' of ice floating on the North Sea, but the sea was not frozen.
The water, though, is very near freezing in temperature.  Airmen who went
down had only minutes to live.  This particular castle is south, and may
or may not be in the warmer current that allows palm trees to grow in
Devon, but the water felt icy to me when I was there--only put a hand in.

>>But I do want to see her forge a "stone" axe.<<

So, OK, she forges an ax head to cut stone.  Except they probably didn't.
 Chisel and hammer?  Stone maul [stone head on wooden handle]?

Certainly, there are evidences of tools to cut stone.  Cathedrals,
castles, gargoyles, etc.  Probably some of these tools still exist--they
were pretty strong.  Don't have a copy of the Brit Museum book on tools,
etc., but there might be photos in it.

>> What about rolling pins?<<             marble.

Mortars were of stone, marble, wood, probably some other materials.
There must have been reasons for using a particular type, as some
materials are named specifically, but you'll have to get that info from
someone who has studied it.  Have you tried the Florilegium?  ;-)

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com