SC - Charlemagne + St. Gall

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed May 24 23:13:46 PDT 2000

Charlemagne's list in in his _Capitulaire_, which I don't have, but I do
have the plant list from St. Gall, which he loved, and to which he gave
money and items.  There should be some simularity.

Veg. garden plants: onions, shallots, garlic, leek, celery, parsley,
coriander, chervil, dill, lettuce, poppy, savory, radishes, parsnip,
carrots, colewort, beet, black cumin.  [colewort is a sort of cabbage].
Orchard: apple, pear, mulberry, peach. plum, service & medlar, laurel,
chestnut, fig, quince, hazelnut, almond, walnut.
 Physicc garden plants: 'Kidney' bean, savvory, rose, horsemint, cumin,
lovage, fennel, tansy, lily, sage rue, flag iris, pennyroyal, fenugreek,
mint, rosemary.

Note that some plants from the physic garden also are used as food.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com