SC - Elizabeth Burton

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri May 26 08:56:47 PDT 2000

Ok, more questions from me, I found this reference in the Florilegium,
(ever notice how a web search for anything vaguely medieval brings up the
Florilegium as the top 5 out of ten sites?) and I am not familiar with
this source.  Can anyone help me?

Elizabeth Burton says that artisans  ate a breakfast of 'bread, salt
herring, cold meat, pottage, cheese and ale'.  The fish would be more
important in fast days.
She also says that Queen Elizabeth's breakfast was 'manchet, ale, beer,
wine and a good pottage made of mutton or beef'.

Christianna