SC - Buying books using the web

Tue May 30 10:09:20 PDT 2000

> The book I looked for was not a cookbook, but rather a book published
> in 1946, "Under the Red Sea Sun" about salvaging a port on the Red
> Sea. Anyway, I found a surprizing number of copies from $10 to $75.

Ellsberg was a very popular adventure author(for about 50 years, IIRC),
having been a hardhat diver during the first half of the 20th Century.  He
was retiring from the business about the time the first commercial SCUBA
rigs became available to the public and Sea Hunt fueled the dive craze.  His
books were reprinted many, many times.  Given the number of printings I've
seen of Ellsberg's works, a $10-75 range is understandable.

> 2) Is there a glossery somewhere for all these terms on the condition
> a book is in?

Try the ABA.  They should have a standard glossary of terms.  Also remember
that there is no fixed criteria to determine such comments as excellent,
very good, good, etc.

> 3) I just did another order for "To the King's Taste" and the merchant
> said he still had the book and would hold it. Even offered to send the
> book before the check got there. Is this what I should do, wait for a
> confirmation before sending a check, even if the merchants website
> says it is in stock?

Sounds like a reputable book dealer allowing you examination before
purchase.

Since you have no idea how often the website is updated, a confirmation is
worthwhile.  Also, a confirmation will allow the dealer to hold the book for
you until your check arrives.

> 4) Even if I get a email reply that says the book is in stock, will
> it likely be held for me or will I find that the book has been sold
> while my check was in the mail?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan

Ask the dealer about their policy on holding books.  Most are willing to
hold books pending sale.

You may wish to be polite and let them know when the check is mailed.  This
lets the dealer know you are upholding your part of the bargain, gives them
an idea of when the payment should arrive, and lets them contact you if they
don't recieve it in a timely manner.

Bear