SC - Period recipes for lavender?

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 07:47:52 PDT 2000

The following is a recipe that I made for Meridies Crown List (for high
Table)... it never got served as we had so much food, and it was
forgotten...but it tastes wonderful.

I would expect that Lavender is a nice flavor in any subtly flavored dish.

Caitlin of Enniskillen

Source:
  Libro della cucina del secolo XIV/ The Medieval Kitchen:  Recipes from
  France and Italy,  by Odile Redon et al.

Primary Source:
Togli buono vino con un poco d'aceto, e, sciumato che sia quando bolle,
meetivi, dentro il pesceie, e cotto, cavalne, e fa bullire il vino tanto,
che torni a la terza parte: poi mettivi dentro zaffarano e altre spezie, con
alloro: poi colato il vino, mettivi spico, e lassa che sia freddo; poi
metti, sopra'l pesce, nel catino.

Translation: Take good wine and a little vinegar, and when it has been
skimmed upon boiling, put in the fish, and when they are cooked, remove
them, and boil the wine so that it reduces to one third; then add saffron
and other spices, with bay leaves;then when the wine has been strained, add
lavender and leave to cool; then put it over the fish in a dish.