SC - Pleyn Delit et al-vinegar

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon May 1 06:46:36 PDT 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<SNIP>>>
 We've worked hard to dispel the idea that medieval food was 'rotten' and was overspiced to cover it. Now, we have to move on to get the other flavorings in proportion. To me, the very fact that a recipe says,  occasionally, to 'make it sharp with vinegar or verjuice' means that the normal use of these flavorings was not strong. They *enhanced* flavor with vinegar, with sugar, with spices and herbs. They do not SMOTHER all food taste with these things. Anybody want to climb on the soapbox with me? >>>>>

In regards "make sharp with vinegar" would suggest to me that the use of vinegar was to make food sharp.  Many dishes would not have vinegar, ergo not sharp.  I just read it with a different emphasis:  use vinegar or verjuice = sharp; no vinegar/verjuice = not sharp.  It won't be that way in every recipe I redact that uses these products, but that is my foundational logic.  I feel for the balance when I am tasting and go for where my little brain leads me.

I also find several recipes, like in Platina and LeMenagier, that state to use "verjuice or vinegar and a little must".  This type of wording would suggest to me that the must is used to take the edge off of the vinegar, humorally and/or flavorally.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo