SC - Documented Substitutions (Long)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 11:25:58 PDT 2000

>  If making assertions on a historical or authoritative basis, then one
>needs t oine up the little duckies and work to develop a logical premise
>and cinclusion that can be reviewed and criticized by peers.  Then,
>mosifications and additons can be made, etc.
>
>Depends on what your stated purpose is.
>
>niccolo difrancesco

my stated purpose would probably be to make a dish resembling this category
of dish. I'd have multiple sources and look for the defining elements or
what seems to be the best examples explaining the different steps and use
this information to create something that is within the category, rather
than recreate any particular recipe exactly.  Perhaps it is a lack of
discipline on my (and Balthazar's?) part that picking out one receipt and
ignoring the others is hard to do.

If I only find one recipe for a dish, I'd still 'fill in the blanks' from
sim ilar recipes in the same collection/same era/same broad category rather
than depend on my modern experience.  What else can I do with one of those
recipes which is hardly more than a list of ingredients, and some of those
are 'mete' or 'good spices'?

Bonne

Bonne