SC - Re:the top 8 icks list

Glenda Robinson glendar at compassnet.com.au
Mon May 1 15:48:11 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----

> Glenda Robinson wrote:
> > While on strange modern foods... I saw on a movie today an USAdian kid
being made a snack- celery sticks with peanut butter trowelled in to fill up
the U shape in the celery.  Do they really do that?  I love peanut butter,
but this seems WAY too  much of the stuff for my liking.

> Yes, North Americans really do cram celery sticks with peanut butter.
> Here in the USA hors devours can have a whole new meaning.  (ha-ha)
>
> Would they be better crammed with vegemite? (smile)
>
> Evfemia at mail.com
> Barony of Iron Mtn. Meridies

Goodness no. Way too much vegie. Here we usually put a light dip or
mayonnaise(usually whipped) on them.

As I'm sitting at my computer for most of the day working (not much
excercise), I'm fairly fat-conscious, and I'm just shuddering at the amount
of fat in one of these babies! They say one tablespoon is peanut butter
(more than enough for a couple of pieces of toast for me) has 8g of fat (or
6 for reduced-fat PB). At least PB fat isn't bad for the heart, just the
body.

While talking about this, I'm quite amazed at how much different standard
foods are used in different countries, while still watching the same TV
shows, speaking the same languages, coming from very similar genetic stocks
on the whole etc etc. Just think how much differently they used their food
way back in the times we 'do'!

For example, the food pumpkin... We in Australia use it as a vegetable,
baked in chunks (often with the skin on) with the 'taties, or made into a
soup. You in America use it sweetened as a dessert pie. Now... looking back
a few centuries... How WOULD those people have cooked their gourds (without
the referrals to their recipes - (I'm going the not-all-people-could-read,
just-did-what-they'd-been-taught way of thinking here)? If we put our modern
views from each country onto these people, they would be totally different.

Glenda.