SC - Documented Substitutions (Long)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 1 19:42:27 PDT 2000

oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

<< I'd have multiple sources and look for the defining elements or
 what seems to be the best examples explaining the different steps and use
 this information to create something that is within the category, rather
 than recreate any particular recipe exactly. >>

Understandable but, in my experience the sources I am familiar with were
written years apart. Comparing the documents may well produce a good generic
dish but not one which would have been served in any of the times from which
each of the manuscripts were written.

A modern example is preserved hams. The way they cooked it 100 years ago is
infinitely superior in flavor to the most common modern method of preparation
yet each recipe, Victorian and modern, is the same name 'Baked Ham' and has
many elements in common. A synthesis of the two recipes produces a very nice
dish but it is not a known way of doing things in either time.

While such an approach is not itself a 'bad' thing, calling the resulting
dish historically authentic would be deceptive and inaccurate.

Ras