SC - Re: No fedora fricasse yet!

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon May 1 20:17:21 PDT 2000

Ldy Diana comments on peanut butter stuffed celery:
have posted, it's a standard in kids lunches, but I see it pretty often at
things like church socials and family reunions, along with the alternate
version of pimento cheese in celery sticks. Both combinations sound rather
odd, but work amazingly well.<<<<

Granted that it a widespread American practice currently ( I don't have
kids, so I was unaware) but was it a widespread food combination in the
50's or earlier?   I reserve "classic" for Coca-colas in 6 1/2 ounce
bottles,
Ovaltine, Malt-o-Meal, Kool-Aid, hot dogs with just plain mustard and bun,
milk delivered to the door in bottles with paper caps and so on......
The only common way I knew to stuff celery that I am familiar in this area
is with Philedelphia Cream Cheese and topped with walnuts.  If you wanted
it pink you mashed in palmintos.  I do remember one salient point from the
50's:  The Mom Network was pretty well everywhere.  They got on the phone
and could track you down in a heartbeat.  When they all were homemakers,
they had time to compare notes quickly and efficiently.  Foodwise, I recall
recipes (other than family treasure types) blazed across the bridge and
canasta
circuits at about half the speed of light (and guess who had to endure the
leftover weird salad molds and nasty pastes?).  If celery and peanut butter
was
so popular, I am amazed that I wasn't served it.  I generally dislike celery
myself
except when it is baked in a cream sauce.   I'm holding onto my hat until I
see some justification for calling this combination a "classic".

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"