SC - Lodge Dutch Oven quality(Was Period Butter churn)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed May 3 06:13:40 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/2/2000 3:25:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

> Thanks for the info.  I'll check out the internet for a web address for
>  Colonial Williamsburg.  Also, I bought a Lodge griddle, which also snapped
>  cleanly in half while cooking with it.  I do a lot of high heat cooking,
and
>  need something which can take the strain.  Do you have good experience
with
>  the Lodge Dutch Oven?  I'm not saying their quality is inferior, mind
>  you...just that I tend to need industrial strength.
>
>  Balthazar of Blackmoor

I was told very early on that because of the even, steady heating of cast
iron that high heat, at least as I define it,  wasn't needed. I have also
been told that because of the crystalline nature of cast iron that high heat
isn't desirable. YMMV, but I'd cut back on the heat if it cracked cast iron,
I'd also look into more gradual heating instead of a quick heating. Just my
.2 cents worth.

Corwyn