An Test was Re: SC - Truck Crops

Jim Revells sudnserv5 at netway.com
Wed May 3 12:49:40 PDT 2000

	After Dad retired from the Army I got to learn what it was like to raise
Truck Crops for real.  We moved to land that he had inherited from
Granddaddy Reb & built a house.  There were 25 acers with used 5 for the
house & yard, 15 for the cattle/pigs & 5 for the garden.  The deal was
anything that we didn't can or freeze was mine to sell with Dad getting
half the cash.  For this all I had to do was keep the garden planted,
watered, weeded & picked all by hand (the heavy work of plowing was done by
a friend's tractor as was most of the pesticide applicaton).  I would make
about $100-150//week during the early '70 working a couple of hours a day
(every day during the growing season) early in the morning.  I sounds like
a good deal but it does NOT explain how much back breaking work that was.
This taste of farming has given me a great appreation for farmers of any
time period.
	Now I know there are many knowledgable cooks on this list so here is a
test for thoes who are not Famous Authorities on All Matters Agricultural .
 In the garden we grew lots of foods can you tell me which continent they
orriginated on? (Please excuse the spelling I am terminaly Spelling
Impared)
Spinich
Kale
Cucumbers