SC - Re: Devonshire Clotted Cream (was Milk OOP)

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed May 3 21:10:55 PDT 2000

Lucrezia comments:
<snip>....usual.  I don't know if Jersey milk is available here is it?

seen)
You can however get Devonshire Clotted Cream in the local supermarket. Mmm,
divine...<<<<

For those of you non U.K. folks, Devonshire clotted cream is
indeed a real treat.  If you would like to try it, here is a
traditional recipe (It takes 36 hours to make incidentally):

Take 2 1/2 quarts (2.4L) and 1 1/2 cups ( 3dl) double cream
(whipping cream). Pour the milk and cream into a wide, shallow
pan like a large skillet or preserving pan (or if you happen to have
one like I do, a ninteenth century milk pan from Eastern
Europe).  The pan should be firesafe.  There is no need to stir.
Let the milk set in a cool place overnight, the fridge will do if you
have room.  In the morning, put the pan on very low heat, being
careful not to shake or disturb the pan when you move it.  If you
have an uneven heat source like gas or electric burners (rather
than the griddle of an old fuel fired stove) put a distributing
mat under the pan (can you still get asbestos mats?).  Let
it stand on heat for 8 to 10 hours.  Remove from heat,
again being very careful not to disturb the milk.  When cool,
put in the fridge or cool place overnight yet again.  In the
morning, skim off the clotted cream with a wide bladed
palette knife or a slice.  The clotted cream shoud be yellow
and wrinkled on top and quite thick.  The yield should be
about 1/2 pound (240g).  Serve on fresh scones
with honey or apple jelly.  Or on hot apple pie with a
sprinkle of sugar.   MMMMmmmmmmm!

You say you can't find scones at the Safeway??  Well,
here is a recipe for Devonshire Scones.  They are a bit richer
than scones from other areas of England.  Try spreading
cold clotted cream and strawberry jam on them.

For Devonshire Scones from the northern part of Devon:

Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt into 2 cups (240g) self-rising flour
and rub into 3/4 stick (90g) butter to a crumb-like
consistancy.  Whisk 1 egg, 1/2 tablespoon castor sugar
(superfine/ powdered) and 2 tablespoons milk together
and stir into the flour mixture to make a soft dough.
Roll out about 3/4" (2cm) thick and cut in rounds with a
2" (5cm) cutter or in triangle if you prefer.  Bake in the
centre of a hot oven, 400 to 425F (200 to 220C or gas Mark
6 to 7), for 10 minutes.

Clotted cream is traditional in the U.K..  When did they start
making it?  My guess is the mid 17th century.  Anyone have
any firm documentation?  Also what is the earliest recipe we
know of for scones?  Source for recipes: English Provential
Cooking by Elisabeth Ayrton.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"