SC - Serving question

Christi Rigby crigby at uswest.net
Tue May 9 10:46:57 PDT 2000

niccolo wrote:

I commend you on your attitude and commitment to active contribution to the
event.  It is a good thing that can certainly make a difference in the event
feel and success.  I wonder if expecting it from everyone would not tend to
cheapen the generosity a bit.

The example of the ranking people, as well as yourself, as first to help is
a great one!  It seems to my eye  to lose some its luster when you call it
expected behavior. Those people are special just because they do it when it
isn't expected of them.  People who go to events participate and contribute
in many ways.  simply paying money to attend is a gret boon to a group who
is trying to break even.  I am well aware that smaller groups are far more
dependent on graciousness and generosity of others than a barony of 100+.
Does not expectation take the honor anf glory out of generosity and grace?
It seems toturn into doing one's duty and punching the clock.

Hail!

When I started in the SCA I was fortunate enough to be associated with a
household that held, not only the current Baron and Baroness, but everything
from me, a new comer, to Knights, Don's and Dukes.  It was very rare for me
to attend an event where someone from the household wasn't working
somewhere.  I usually ended up helping whomever was helping out, wherever I
was needed.  I found myself learning lists, running tourneys, helping
organize demos, and within 6 months of being in the SCA, running my first
feast.  I realized very quickly that part of experiencing the SCA is
helping.  You help and people will help you.  I didn't know how to sew, so 3
ladies helped in teaching me.  I never ran a feast, but ended up
volunteering to do so, and a Don in my group taught me how to do my feast.
I just think the more people who realize that working is one of the greatest
experiences in the SCA.

Murkial
(the long winded one)