SC - Be Nice to Cariadoc Week

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue May 9 11:15:03 PDT 2000

Sayyid Suleyman al Rashid ibn Beyazid,
    Proud Ottoman Turk skrev:

>    I have a problem with Cariadoc anyway.  He has set himself up as an
>expert in terms of "all things arabic", but he is very, very selective.  If
>he doesn't like something, or if it is not a part of his very narrow view
of
>what it means to be arabic (which, if I remember correctly, should be read
as
>"what it means to be Moorish"), then not only is it not period, its simply
>not realistic and/or true.
>    When we pointed out that the Islamic world was (and remains) bigger
than
>the areas of Morocco and Algeria that he concentrates on, we were told we
>were mistaken, than we were using non-period sources, or that we were just
>plain wrong.
>He is thus hardly the expert he sets himself up to be.

>    Or let me be more precise.  About the Moors and all things Moorish, yes
>he is an expert.  About the greater, larger world of period Islam, he is
far
>from it, mainly because, unfortunately, he chooses to ignore anything
outside
>of his own interests.

 >   (A view which is common in society as a whole, unfortunately.)

Now, in certain respects, I agree with some of your points about Cariadoc,
but rarely have I seen him make forceful statements, unless someone was
phrasing him/herself in a downright rude manner. He is certainly very
definite in his opinions, and he is very focussed on his area of specialty-
he has to be a focussed person, for anyone as short as he is to win as many
Crowns in as many Kingdoms as he has ;-) - but he usually manages to nail
someone by asking questions such as "Where do you find this assertion?"
"What evidence do you have for this substitution" and so forth. I should
know- he and I have had a couple of very intense discussions on various
matters (reference most recently, our "Frankish Logic" go around ;-), but in
none of these discussions has he either been less than a gentleman, or made
an assertion he can't back up with reasonable evidence.

Yes, he has his weaknesses, but I hardly think that this List, or any other,
is the right place to argue them without providing specific quotes from him,
with specific documentation to refute his statements or his assertions.
Let's deal with the evidence, please folks, and let personalities slide.

Phlip the Currently Saintly

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous