SC - European Food

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 9 18:49:21 PDT 2000

I kind of know what Khadija means...after all, I have a Japanese personna!
However, I've not run into that kind of attitude on this list.  In fact,
everyone here seems perfectly willing to discuss all sorts of different
cultures/cuisines.

I think that the point that was being made is that, while we may be able to
document the tomato as being used in China or Turkey, we can't do so in Europe.
So if we're cooking a European feast, it would be out of place.  However, if we
can document it as being Turkish, and we prepare a period Turkish feast, then it
would be appropriate.  I can document peanuts as being in period in China, but
know that they did not come into use as a food in Europe until the 18th century
(I think...).  Therefore, I would not serve a dish containing peanuts in the
Elizabethan feast I just cooked, but my Lord might use them when he cooks our
Festival of Kites oriental feast (Chinese/Japanese) in the fall.

Kiri