SC - Estimating Crowds

Christi Rigby crigby at uswest.net
Tue May 9 19:50:10 PDT 2000

Khadijah asked:
    For those of you who have previously done feasts, how many do you
typically prepare for?  Specifically, I refer to being given a budget, for a
certain number of people.  Do you stay at that number (100 for a starting
point), or do you prepare for 110 just in case?

    I would like to know how others handle this.  I was dealing with a
situation last weekend where feast was supposed to be for 75 (local event),
and at a last minute request was for 85.  If this common?

I generally ask the Autocrat to decide with me what the cut off point will
be.  We have rarely had problems in selling out feasts so there is not much
guessing.  If the Autocrat is expecting their Majesties/Highnesses, I leave
it up to them as to whether to expect them to pay or not.  If they are not,
I ask how many free meals we will give out of the seating allowance, so I
know how many paying feasters to prepare for and cut the cost of head table
out of the amount.  I hope that makes sense.

Murkial