SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed May 10 06:16:52 PDT 2000

Suleyman skrev:

>However,
>which foods, specifically, are you looking for information on?  Tomatoes
and
>potatoes?  Peanuts and banannas?  Its not all one lump of information.

Actually, any of them. At Pennsic, I'm working on a meso-American meal, as I
mentioned to the List earlier- my interest helped me discover, for example,
that they did have honey in the Americas before the Europeans brought the
honey bee into the New World- I'm always interested in every bit of
information I can get about the periodicity of different foods. For example,
there is some speculation, not proven, that the Chinese traded with the West
Coast of the US and thus might well have gotten capsicums before the
Europeans did, and while the jury is still out on that, I find the
information, and the discussions of the evidence interesting. We know that
several plants made it back to different areas of Europe very shortly
post-Columbus, but their availability and usage may or may not have been
extensive enough to consider using at a feast as other than "a novelty from
the Indies".

So, if you'd be so kind, any evidence you have, and its documentation, would
be most appreciated.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous