SC - Period cookery recipes-Spanish

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed May 10 07:28:35 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 10 May 00,, that Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> I also read that there's a book of Carving for that time and place too!!!

The 1423 _Arte Cisoria_ by Enrique de Villena.  It has not been
translated, AFAIK.

It contains descriptions of carving instruments and instructions on
serving, as well as detailed descriptions of how to carve various
foodstuffs.  This is more than how to dismember a sheep or a salmon; it
also has chapters on fruits and vegetables which are customarily carved
for eating.  It contains "serving suggestions" which mention specific
modes of preparation, for instance, the section on chicken says that
you cut it thusly if you are going to serve it in mirraust or in dobladura,
but if you are going to serve it in capirotada (a kind of layered dish with
bread and fowl and sauce), you should not only cut it into serving
pieces, but remove the bones, so the feasters don't get their hands
greasy.

I believe my translation of the beginning of chapter six, which lists foods
eaten in Spain, is in the Florilegium.

I could have sworn that it was online in Spanish, as part of the Virtual
Cervantes library, but I can no longer find it in the index there.  What
*is* still there is the _Manual de Mugeres_, a late 15th/early 16th
century ladies' household manual.  There are 29 cooking recipes, plus
formulas for cosmetics and medicines.  Of particular interest are the
recipes for chorizo (sausage), quince pies, rice casserole, Moorish pot
(stew with goat, mutton, onions, and chickpeas), pies of chicken
breasts, and morcillas finas (a kind of boiled pudding, made in sausage
casings).  Most of the recipes are not very long, nor is the Spanish
particularly difficult to read.
http://cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/9620172802974039821375
26/
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain