SC - Suleyman's Manifesto

Christi Rigby crigby at uswest.net
Wed May 10 08:33:58 PDT 2000

    Sayyid Suleyman al-Rashid ibn Beyazid
    mka Jack Butler

    None of these items would be "blatantly modern".  I see nothing
blatantly
modern about imam bayildi (arabic), or tam ka gai (Burmese), or steamed
salmon with rice and vinegar (Japanese), or bluefish stuffed with grapes
(Arrowak indian), or phad kaprow (Thai).  There is nothing that would
destroy
the atmosphere about Mujadarra (arabic again), beef roast with yogurt
(Mongolian), mushrooms with black bean and pepper sauce (Afghan), or orange
slices with honey (Kenyan).
    All of the food I just mentioned are all period recipes, and all come
from cultures other than Europe.  Point to the one which is "blatantly
modern".

But my question is, are they definitely period.  Do you have documentable
sources for each of these dishes pre-1650 or pre-1600 depending on which
definition of period you are using?

As is very commonly asked on the list.  Documentation please?  Or even the
name of your sources so that I can do my own research on them.

Murkial