SC - Estimating Crowds

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed May 10 16:33:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/9/2000 10:29:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RButler96 at aol.com writes:

<< For those of you who have previously done feasts, how many do you
 typically prepare for?  Specifically, I refer to being given a budget, for a
 certain number of people.  Do you stay at that number (100 for a starting
 point), or do you prepare for 110 just in case? >>

What I usually do is set an upper limit for the number of people I
want/expect to serve.  That is how many feast reservations will be sold.  It
may be determined by the size of the hall, by how much I feel like cooking,
or by how much help I think I can get.  Anybody above that number gets put on
a waiting list in case somebody cancels or doesn't show up.  After the gate
closes, any leftover feast reservations are sold to the folks on the waiting
list in the order they were placed on it.
If I know ahead of time (say on the day I do the major shopping) that there
are a lot of open spaces left, I probably won't cook the whole amount.  I'll
cook for the number of reservations plus one or two tables at most.  On the
other hand, if I knew ahead of time that there were 20 people on the waiting
list, that the hall could handle it, and that I would have enough help, I
might decide to up the count.

I would never, as an autocrat, ask a cook to cook for a significant large
number of add-ons on the day of the event.  One or two people, yeah, we could
squeeze those in.  One or two tables, no.
As a cook, if an autocrat asked me to do so, I would probably refuse.  I
might make the argument that, if I stretch things to make that many more
servings, there is a good likelihood that a) people won't think there is
enough to eat or b) the quality of the food will suffer because of it having
to be thinned.

Brangwayna Morgan