SC - Martino Question (Blancmange)

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu May 11 10:20:08 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/11/00 11:26:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
betpulib at ptdprolog.net writes:

<<
 I found a recipe simple enough for Girl Scouts to make, though it may not be
 the official way:

 Take a glass container with a screw-on lid. Fill half-full packed fresh rose
 petals (organically grown). Fill with water. Leave in a dark place at room
 temperature and shake wellin the morning and at night. At the end of a week,
 if it's not strong enough strain it and repeat the process with the same
 water but more rose petals. Works best with highly colored (eg red) petals.

 *Balthazar of Blackmoor

 Aoife

    Errrrr--I've seen directions like this before, but if I tried that, at
least in this hot climate, I'd end up with liquid that was nasty, molding,
and perhaps fermenting! Even if not, it certainly wouldn't keep very long
unless you froze it.......... That's why "real" rosewater is distilled,
rather than made like a tisane, as above. That's the only way to keep it for
long periods......... Maybe that one was designed for cooler climates? Bal,
if you want to make some rosewater fresh while you have roses to work with,
you certainly could. But just don't steep the petals but a few hours, and
then use the liquid immediately or refrigerate it for a couple of days.
    I've seen instructions for making a makeshift "still" for making
rosewater out of a teakettle and rubber tubing, that condensed the steam
coming from the teakettle into the tubing fitted over it's spout by running
it through a pan of ice water.  Always intended to try it, if I ever have
time when my period roses are blooming!

            Ldy Diana, sweltering in a Meridian warm spell............