SC - Unhistoric things we serve OT

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu May 11 11:32:42 PDT 2000

>Blathazar wrote:
>*I also, sometimes, omit the baking
>*powder in my biscuits, and instead beat the dough with a leather mallet
>for about 30 minutes.  This works well, also, and if I am not mistaken (and
>if I am I will certainly hear about it) this is the way folks in the
>southern US made biscuits before Baking Powder came into practical use.

Glad you mentioned this.  When food processors came on the market in the
70's there was a fad for 'beaten biscuits' and I intended to try it should I
ever own a food processor.  I got one last month just in time for feast.
Thanks for the reminder.

I share Aoife's interest in testing out period method's, but for practical
feast prep. my new little buddy really did the job on slicing 15 lbs of
leeks and grating 7 lbs of carrots and mincing 3 lbs of herbs.

Bonne