SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 11 23:09:02 PDT 2000

Brangwayna Morgan said:
> I find the worst culprit is usually breakfast, if it is served.  Usually it
> is modern egg dishes or modern French toast or pancakes, and often includes
> storebought donuts and Danish.

Well, some of these are period, or at least have close period approximations.
Although certain elements, like the pancakes if they include baking
soda, are
not period. Also these don't appear to be a period breakfast dish. Check
out these files in the FOOD-BREADS-GRAINS section of my files for more
details:
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                       Christianna MacGrain.
French-Toast-msg  (15K) 12/ 3/99    Period French Toast. Recipes.
fried-breads-msg  (20K)  1/11/00    Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.

Or the eggs-msg file in the FOOD section.

Before joining this list I would have thought none of these had period
approximations.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net